Medicinal Chemistry Lead
Medicinal Chemistry Lead
Cerevel Therapeutics is a small and growing team of accomplished and driven scientists who are committed to advancing novel solutions for people who suffer from nervous system diseases. We are seeking a highly skilled and creative medicinal chemist to join us in advancing molecules to the clinic for treatment of CNS illnesses. The Full-time Boston-based position requires deep and practical knowledge of how to design and synthesize high quality, “CNS-friendly” molecules that are optimized for testing therapeutic hypothesis. The ideal candidate will have strong interest in and aptitude for participating in the overall dialog around our targets and will bring insight and expertise to anticipate and address the many elements that go into advancing successful compounds. Our approach requires excellence in all aspects of medicinal chemistry and also an understanding of the human target, it’s biological pathway, and the relevant molecular interactions.
The ideal candidate will bring broad medicinal chemistry expertise and a track record of having developed strong and effective working relationships with drug discovery project teams and functions in Research and Development. Experience is required in proposing, reducing to practice, and troubleshooting multi-step syntheses as well as experience in standard spectroscopic and purification methods, including NMR (routine pulse techniques for structure determination), and standard automated liquid chromatography and HPLC methods. The role will participate in strategic discussions about vendor and tool selection, department composition, and target selection and validation. The role will also require ability to simultaneously manage time across multiple responsibilities and programs.
Using a mix of internal and external resources, this role will be responsible for advancing chemical matter toward project objectives in close partnership with cross-functional project teams and will play a key role in delivering high quality clinical molecules into the pipeline. This specific role requires leadership experience and aptitude to work with biology and academia to build a portfolio. This role will have the opportunity to lead discovery teams and will have a key part in creating and maintaining compound-related intellectual property and will interface with compound database and inventory management systems.
The candidate should be a self-motivated, flexible, and independent thinker who succeeds in a high pace, scientific and results-oriented environment.
This role is part of Medicinal Chemistry within the Discovery Research Organization and reports to the Vice President of R&D Chemistry.
- Work independently and collaboratively with colleagues in the advancement of chemical matter to ensure progress with scientific excellence, efficiency and speed.
- Lead Hit-to-Lead and/or Lead Optimization efforts for multiple programs, drive and establish a program objective for one or more drug discovery projects, working in concert with partners in molecular and cellular biology, pharmacology, computational chemistry, ADME, structural biology, chemical development, and other key functions
- Analyze screening data, perform literature reviews, design, propose, and execute medicinal chemistry plans, coordinate chemistry and biology data to support project progression decisions, individual compound progression, and effective patent strategies
- Propose synthetic routes for targets and evaluate spectroscopic and experimental data and direct synthetic chemistry activities internally and/or at contract research organizations (CROs)
- Troubleshoot and anticipate synthetic chemistry issues and maintain a standard of excellent in both internal and external route development efforts.
- Work with patent attorneys providing expertise in support of prosecution and optimization of intellectual property related to compounds and programs.
- Participate in the review and vetting of new program plans and goals, learning and applying relevant details of biological targets to ensure that chemical matter is appropriately optimized.
- Develop effective partnerships and delegates work effectively to team members
- Participate in portfolio reviews, lead the preparation and presentation of materials for clinical leadership reviews and IND filings
- Serve as a scientific expert in medicinal chemistry with both internal and external partners and provide recommendations regarding new targets and potential in-licensing opportunities.
- Proactively communicate project status and timeline projections.
- Work with VP of Chemistry to continue building a truly outstanding department including design and synthesis infrastructure, investments in technology, department composition, CRO selection, and best practices.
- Lead and/or participate in departmental initiatives or other duties as assigned
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in the biopharmaceutical industry with a proven track record of innovation and key contributions to clinical candidate selection, experience in CNS preferred.
- Broad experience and proven accomplishments in medicinal chemistry, with operational skills for managing discovery programs and a proven track record of making good scientific decisions is required
- Expert knowledge of modern methods of synthetic and medicinal chemistry with ability to successfully and simultaneously advance multiple projects is required
- Solid understanding of and interest in cellular/molecular biology, biochemistry, disease pharmacology, mechanisms of drug metabolism and molecular toxicology, pharmaco-kinetic and pharmaco-dynamic sciences, and formulations for the in vivo evaluation of drug candidates is required
- Ability to manage ambiguity and multiple competing priorities in fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Proven ability to integrate multiple R&D disciplines into a successful strategic project plan
- Experience writing and/or supporting patents and at least basic understanding of biopharmaceutical intellectual property
- Strong problem-solving skills for developing creative, innovative solutions and ability to identify and vet the scientific details that matter.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- A desire to be part of a rapidly growing, fast paced, and patient focused company that finds solutions to problems that matter to patients and their families.
- Experience in hit-to-lead or lead optimization is highly desirable
- Experience developing talent
- Experience selecting and building chemistry laboratory and digital infrastructure
- A high degree of autonomy; takes accountability for work
PhD in synthetic or medicinal chemistry. Postdoctoral experience strongly preferred
Cerevel is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Apply for this job
© 2019 Cerevel Therapeutics, LLC.
CEREVEL and the CEREVEL logo are trademarks of Cerevel Therapeutics, LLC. All Rights Reserved.